Monday 21 April 2014

Evaluation - Question 2

How does the Media Product represent a particular social group?

When starting to research what kind of magazine I wanted to do, I came across magazines which gave me inspiration in my ideas for images. I wanted to appeal to an indie/rock audience, so I had to portray that social group in my magazine. I wanted to appeal to 17-24 year olds and so this had to be evident in my magazine.


I came across this image of Florence when thinking of poses for my model, Lottie, to do. This image is more indie than rock, but I like how she has positioned her arms, as if she is slightly uncomfortable and unsure. I felt I could use this pose on Lottie.  People who are in the indie social group like having their own identity and this body language could help give Lottie her own identity.



I decided I would take this image of Florence and re-create it for my indie/rock social magazine. Lottie is wearing black boots, shiny silver tights, denim shorts, a black top and leather jacket. She also is wearing a headscarf and jewellery. This costume oozes Lottie's indie/rock style and would attract this type of social group to the magazine because they would like how she dresses. I noticed that Florence wasn't wearing much make-up as an indie artist, therefore I decided that I didn't want Lottie to wear much. I gave her red lipstick which made her lips stand out, it represents her indie/rock style by wearing harsh colours on a pale face. This image would attract a young, stylish audience looking in from an indie/rock perspective. It represents the indie/rock style. The colour scheme I used of red, black, yellow and white represents the social group I chose, as these colours are regularly found on indie/rock magazines. The bands and artists shown on the front cover reflects the type of music the indie/rock social group like listening to and I feel it is a good and accurate representation.


The images in my contents page reflect the different aspects of the indie/rock music industry, since not every artist is the same. To fully grasp the different types of artists and bands in the indie/rock music industry I decided to base my images on real artists in magazines. For instance, I saw that Dave Grohl, lead singer from Foo Fighters, had his guitar on his shoulder on the Q contents page. I decided to take the idea of having a guitar in the image and transfer it into Lottie's image, to show her passion for music as do a lot of the social group targeted for my magazine. Oasis frontman, Noel Gallagher used a customised Epiphone Sheraton known as 'the Supernova'. Lottie's guitar is the same make and this could show her influences as an artist from this social group.
I also represented the young, indie/rock social group by including up to date technology with the use of social media into the brand LEAD. In my contents page I included a page for LEAD's app on an i-pad, a Facebook page a Twitter page and I also included a web address. This reflects the young technophiles I am trying to target, as they are up to date with new technology. In my Editor's letter I called the readers 'LEADers' as more and more young people are starting to put themselves into 'fan clubs'. This language reflects the immaturity of some people in this social group.
The other images I used in my contents page also reflect the indie/rock social group. As Luke, the male model, is wearing a black leather jacket showing the type of clothes this social group like to wear. A similar image to this is Noel Gallagher in Q magazine on the front cover. I believe these images show the social group in an accurate light. The images appeal to the audience as they can take inspiration from their music hero's.
The information in this article would appeal to the indie/rock social group as, stereotypically, they are in contact with drugs and alcohol. There could be pressures into people taking them, therefore the message in this story could appeal to those who are taking drugs and those who want to change their lifestyle. The image of Lottie getting out of the car is illustrated in a negative light as, all too often, this is how people are portrayed in the media after a night out, and this is how this social group can be represented after going to a club, along with many other people. As Lottie is aged 20 herself, this would appeal to the young audience.
Overall I believe I have represented the social group accurately in my media product as I researched all aspects of the indie/rock scene and tried to fit my magazine to suit them. It would interest them as they are the soul target for my magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment